JOURNALS AND ESSAYS
These are websites containing written material by Burning Man participants about the Burning Man event and their experiences, connections, revelations, musings and ruminations there. What new insight did you take home from the playa this year? Weblogs will NOT be included, unless they include sections specific to Burning Man.
Please add your organization's link at the bottom of this page. Oh, and if you're hoping to post porn here, don't bother. It won't see the light of day.
- Burning Man 2005: AvenueDave.com's Digi-Journal - A stupefying pictoral and verbal account of a first-time burner's journey into Black Rock City. Action, fire, PhotoBoof, La Contessa, dust devils, cocktails, and much, much more....
- Celebrate Big: the devirgination - A party for the senses and spirit, a step away from the regular world and into a community supported by creativity, gift economy, and dust. [please note: this is already on your terrific journals and essays page, but the web link has changed slightly. Please update it so that it is not a broken link on your website anymore. Thank you!]
- Burning Man 2005 - Field Trips by Ellin Beltz - Words and photos of a Burning Man Virgin's trip to Wonderland and back again.
- Fear and Loathing in Black Rock City - About as close as you can come to describing Burning Man. Contains photos from 1999. And see the BMY2k follow-up page at: http://g-na.org/bman2k.html
- 2004 Burning Man by Nuclear Ember - Travelogue and 100+ photos
- reflections of a first-timer - A journal entry reflecting one girl's first burningman experience and the sense of longing to be back on the playa.
- You will never be able to explain Burning Man 99 - How can I describe the Burn to someone who's never been? It's like tripping; If you haven't been there, you don't know the language. If you have, then there is nothing more to say... (new banner-free permanent location!)
- Headless Maiden 2000 - Welcome to the Headless Maiden camp. Come sit at the table or drink at the bar. Check out our art or get an assport. For all of you who visited us on Head Way in 2k, thanks for stopping by.
- Going Beyond Belief - The near perfect read for people who have not been to a burn by a third-time burner.
- My 'Burning Man' experiences - Essays in words and pictures of my experiences at Burning Man 1997 through 2003
- Celebrate Big: the de-virgination - A party for the senses and spirit, a step away from the regular world and into a community supported by creativity, gift economy, and dust.
- Bad Times on the Green Tortoise - Not all burning experiences are good ones. Here is the story of one of the bad ones, of how people I had never met before helped me through it, and what I learned from the experience.
- Flamer - San Francisco gay sports writer's take on the unique combination of drag and athleticism at Burning Man 2K and comparatively, the 2000 Olympics.
- You will never be able to explain Burning Man 99 - How can I describe the Burn to someone who's never been? It's like tripping; If you haven't been there, you don't know the language. If you have, then there is nothing more to say...
- Creativity's Gifts --Burning Man 2000 - - A semi-daily report on creating on the Playa, mostly focusing on the crew at the Sultan's Oasis and the creation of The Temple.
- Hallucinations from the Desert - I can literally feel my pulse quickening as the last few miles skim by. At this point I'm part of a grand caravan, some 2 dozen cars and trucks all pointed toward Black Rock City, the temporary community that Burning Man calls home...
- 30,000 people and no crowds... - This is something that is hard to describe. In a pentagon shaped area, one and half miles on each of the five sides, 30,000 people camped on the flat, desert plya. But there are no lines, no real crowds. See, all 30,000 have brought their own food and water, and there is nothing for sale. So no lines. No crowds. And everywhere ...
- What is Burning Man? - A first-timer's attempt to describe the Burning Man experience. A deconstruction by parts.
- Sebbo at BM2K: An Auto-interview - Sebbo waxes pompous and incoherent again. And this time, it's not even short. Lightly illustrated.
- The Lodge of Herne:A Place for pagan men:Wicker Man Page - Some brief info and links about The Wicker Man Myth
- Brave New World - A strightforward article/rumination on the '98 fest from a two-year vet. Might stir fond memories in fellow vets, and a good primer for newbies. Also access the complete Transmissions of the infamous TOKYO RICO, as heard on various Black Rock radio stations during BM '98.
- PISS CLEAR - Black Rock City's ONLY alternative newspaper, your voice of reason on the playa.
- Max Icon's PVC Adventure - the title says it all
- Burning within Me - How I answer when people ask me, "What is Burning Man?" An article about the event and excerpts from my personal experiences.
- BM2000: a virgin's journal - "Smoke, flame, and fireworks rose in fiery waves as the city continued to consume itself. Two weeks hence, no trace, none whatsoever..."